Comprehensive Neonatal Follow-up Clinic
The comprehensive neonatal follow-up clinic provides continuing outpatient care for infants after they leave the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit. Our goal is to optimize the growth, nutritional outcomes and developmental outcomes of the most vulnerable infants, specifically:
- Premature infants
- Twins, triplets and beyond
- Infants with complex surgical and cardiac problems
- Infants with neurologic conditions identified in the period after delivery
Visits are in collaboration with the primary care provider, and ongoing communication between members of the team is fostered. At each visit, the infant is evaluated by a:
- Pediatric nurse practitioner
- Neonatologist with expertise in neonatal follow-up
- Pediatric physical or occupational therapist
- Neonatal dietitians
- Other specialists for medical consultations, as needed
What to expect
Laboratory studies, sonograms and X-rays will be obtained as needed to follow issues identified in the NICU or at the time of the visit.
Parents are instructed in infant positioning and feeding techniques and provided with home activities to stimulate optimal development. Referral may be made to the Early Intervention Program for evaluation for home physical, occupational and/or speech/feeding therapy.
Once the infant reaches six months beyond the due date, their care is transitioned to the developmental pediatrician for continued surveillance of developmental milestones.