The Division of Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes performs more than 12,000 outpatient and more than 200 in-house consultations per year. We also conduct more than 240 diagnostic endocrine tests per year in our endocrine testing service. The endocrine team consists of board certified pediatric endocrinologists, certified nurse educators, nurse practitioners, nutritionists and social workers.
What we treat
Our expert team provides diagnosis and treatment for a full range of pediatric endocrinology disorders including:
- Diabetes mellitus, commonly referred to as diabetes
- Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
- Growth problems, including short stature
- Thyroid diseases, including congenital hypothyroidism
- Delayed or precocious puberty
- Pituitary problems
- Adrenal disorders, including congenital adrenal hyperplasia (we're a designated site for the New York state Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia and Newborn Thyroid Screening Program)
- Disorders of sex development
- Pediatric Urogenital Reproductive Endocrine Disorders Program
We have particular expertise in caring for patients with diabetes. U.S. News & World Report rated us one of the Top 50 pediatric diabetes and endocrine disorder programs in the country. Our dedicated diabetes team consists of experienced physicians, certified diabetes nurse educators, nutritionists and mental health support staff. We offer individual and group classes in pediatric diabetes education for patients and their families. We have also been recognized by the National Committee for Quality Assurance (NCQA) for our quality measures in pediatric diabetes care; only one other program in New York state has been certified.
What to expect
No matter your child's condition, during your first visit the doctor will review your family’s medical history, your child’s entire birth and medical history, overall family growth patterns, medications and other important information. In many cases, a follow-up visit will be scheduled. We will then discuss your test results and come up with a treatment plan tailored to your child's unique needs.