The Childhood Brain and Spinal Cord Tumor Center at Cohen Children's is committed to providing comprehensive care for children diagnosed with tumors of the nervous system. Our multidisciplinary team is dedicated to treating the broad spectrum of benign, malignant, primary and metastatic tumors in young patients whose bodies and brains are still developing.
When it comes to diagnosis and treatment of your child’s condition, our center pioneers the most up-to-date and innovative technology to optimize therapy. Intraoperative imaging, laser interstitial thermal therapy, and early phase clinical trials offer new options for patients. Our state-of-the-art Pediatric MRI suite is the only one on Long Island exclusively for pediatric patients.
Brain and spinal cord tumors
Tumors of the central nervous system are abnormal growths of cells found within the brain or spinal cord. The causes of these tumors are not known and there are many different types of nervous system growths. Some of the lesions we routinely treat include:
- Brainstem gliomas
- Germ-cell tumors
- Pineal region tumors
Personalized precision therapy
Central nervous system tumors have dramatically different biology based upon genetic mutations and markers found in the tumor. We routinely analyze tumor biopsies for genetic abnormalities specific to that tumor which impact prognosis and treatment. Additionally, we evaluate tumors for mutations that may be specifically targeted by new and novel drugs.
Childhood brain and spinal cord tumors present a complex challenge for physicians, families and patients. Our dedicated, interactive team of medical specialists, clinical researchers and a professional support group meet this challenge.
Our dedicated team includes:
- Pediatric neuro-oncologists who act as coordinators of care, evaluate the nature of the tumor and treat with chemotherapy
- Pediatric neurosurgeons, who specialize in brain surgery and management of pressure on the brain
- Pediatric neurologists, who diagnose neurologic abnormalities and treat seizures
- Pediatric neuroradiologists, who plan and read brain and spine CT and MRI scans, including MR imaging, angiography, venography, spectroscopy, functional MRI scanning and brain PET scanning
- Radiation oncologists, who prescribe and design radiation therapy treatments including:
- Intensity-modulated photon beam radiotherapy
- Proton beam radiotherapy
- Gamma Knife radiotherapy
- Pediatric neuro-psychologists, who evaluate cognitive abilities and make recommendations for improved learning
- Pediatric social workers who support and counsel families and assist managing insurance
Brain and Spinal Cord Tumor Board
Our multidisciplinary Brain and Spinal Cord Tumor Board meets every Tuesday to carefully review each patient’s care, ensuring that your child’s treatment gets the unique attention it needs and deserves.
We actively participate with the Children’s Oncology Group and other pediatric oncology consortia, as well as the National Institutes of Health.
Additionally, we offer early phase, investigator-initiated trials for pediatric brain tumors and are active members of the Brain Tumor Biotech Center of the Feinstein Institute for Medical Research.